Look what we are learning!
- What have you been learning today? (as opposed to what have you done today?)
- What new knowledge do you have? What new skills do you have? What do you understand better after today?
- Why are you learning this?
- How did this connect with things you have learnt about before?
- Is there something you really liked learning today?
- Can you teach me/ someone what you learnt today?
- Was there anything that you’d like to know more about after today?
Helping all children fulfill their potential
Fixed Mindset: People believe that their intelligence or talents are set and can’t be changed. They spend their time documenting their intelligence/talents instead of developing them.
Growth Mindset: People believe that their abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work. Brains and talent are just the starting point. This view creates a love of learning and resilience that is essential for great accomplishment.
How to praise your child to build success
Some examples of appropriate praise and encouragement language used successfully by teachers and parents.
- Well done! You’re learning to….
- Good - it’s making you think - that is how you know you’re brain is growing
- Every time you practise, you’re making the connections in your brain stronger.
- You’re good at things you like because you spend a lot of time doing them.
- If you could already do it or it was easy, you wouldn’t be learning anything.
- Your skills have really improved. Do you remember how much harder this was last week/ year?
- You kept going - well done!
- Don’t say no - have a go!
- You mean you don’t know/ can’t do it YET!
Look what we've been learning!
There’s so much learning taking place in our school every day. Here’s a snapshot of some of the learning that is happening in each class each week.